Before I share with you my records, thoughts, and feelings on the ketogenic diet, let me explain exactly what this diet is….
The Ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet. This diet involves reducing carbohydrate intake, and replacing it with fats. The reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic process that occurs when the body does not have enough glucose for energy. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates, producing ketones in the liver, being used as energy. Rather than when eating carbs, your body produces glucose and insulin. The ketogenic diet can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels, resulting in many health benefits, included obesity and type II Diabetes, RESEARCH SHOWN! Keeping in mind there are actually quite a few different ketogenic approaches, so do your research and then take the time to trial and error the different combos to see what works best for your body. The standard ketogenic diet typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein, and only 5% carbs.
Below I have included the first 14 days of myself on keto, keeping in mind its quick bullet points and my personal notes taken throughout the days of me living life “Keto” but veryyy detailed trying to share everything with you.
You may not know but the first initial 2 weeks on the ketogenic diet has its ups and downs for sure. Its rough for the body to initially go through the changes in which it needs to pull energy from a different energy source other than the original source of carbohydrates.
MY First 2 weeks on KETOGENIC diet JOURNAL back in 2017!
DAY 1- 1/24/17 Tuesday
• Didn’t weigh self. Scale is broken so until then, going by pictures/looks, which they say is actually better because muscle does weigh more than fat! Ultimately, you will quickly loose weight on the keto diet, because of the decrease intake in carbohydrates, your body loses water weight quickly since its not easily absorbed.
• Prior to this diet, I ate both unprocessed and processed carbs the past 4 days while I was away in Florida for a vaca.
• Acne became bad, on my face, chest and back, this can happen when you’re in taking in a bunch of processed foods. Processed foods and refined grains that are quickly broken down into sugar can have a terrible effect on the skin and allow acne to appear.
• Got a rush of fatigue at 5pm (had to work thru it)
• 2 a day workout today–45 min am cardio fasted, 45 min pm glutes work
• Bed by 1030 pm
• Woke up at 3AM hungry && had almonds—probably should have just chugged water
• Example meals for the day (This isn’t what I eat every single day, but here is an example of what a day may look like
Fasted cardio w/ BCAAS
3 whole eggs 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 slices bacon
1 Tbsp mayo
1Tbsp olive oil
1Tbsp olive oil
1 scoop Protein powder (1st Phorm Phormula-1)
2 Tbsp peanut butter
Meal 6/Before Bed
1 Tbsp coconut oil w/ tea
Total cals: about 1600s
*Typically, I DO NOT like to count my greens however they must be counted when on the Keto “Diet” too many greens (too many carbs) can throw you out of ketosis.
• I do like how my sugar intake is sooooo low! This can be tricky to do when on a balanced meal plan, but not hard when on keto!
• Fiber is low, but remember greens aren’t included and greens have fiber. If I start having problems will supplement with fiber powder. HOWEVER, lack of fiber doesn’t cause constipation, fiber can CAUSE constipation. If experiencing constipation on ketogenic diet, it’s not because of the less fiber intake, its most likely because you’ve started eating something that you weren’t eating before. OR high amounts of foods that are difficult to digest… AKA NUTS—oops. If you’ve been following me quite some time you would know my obsession with nuts/peanut butter.
• Would like overall calories to eventually increase to 1,900 total. (Remember this was back in 2017—I currently eat 1700-1900 calories when I’m maintaining and 1500-1600 when I’m cutting)
Day 2- 1/25/17 Wednesday
• Woke up 6:15 AM
• 30 min AM cardio fasted – at home
• It’s easy to go out to eat while on a low carb diet, just skip the bread bowl! Went out to lunch and ordered a Cobb salad- bacon. Brought own dressing, skip on restaurant sauces and ask for all their sauces on the side when ordering (they are loaded with sugar & carbs, adding up in calories quick)
• Back day—BEST DAY
• Felt prettty relaxed and awake throughout the day
• Gas is bad… whoops TMI
Why is gas bad on keto diet? For my sake my body probably doesn’t handle condiments very well. As shown above I had mayo, which has ingredients such as xanthan gum in it. I also use sugar free ketchup, most condiments do have junk in them! Keep an eye out. But also, foods higher in protein and fats can be harder to digest.
Day 3- 1/26/17 Thursday
• Massage today! Woohoo typically I get a massage once a week and usually falls on Thursdays for me. I am a Massage Therapist, look out for more blogs on massage therapy; and its importance!
• 8 hrs of sleep last night-SOLID, love it when I get a good nights sleep. Sleep is a major priority for me. If I don’t get the right adequate amount of sleep, I wont be as productive during the day, I will not recover at the speed I need to be and my immune system is at a higher risk for crashing.
• Woke up at 3 am– had handful almonds…. Sleeeeep eater
• Starving—its only day 3!
• Stomach hurts-pain and nauseous
• Tired and it’s 2 o’clock..uh oh
• Go through it but starving, having a hard time getting in 150g of fats! Drinking Oil isn’t so easy after all!
*Been feeling nauseous when I get hungry—NOTED
Day 3 was interesting haha
Day 4- 1/27/17 Friday
• I have no idea what I weigh and it’s killing me! Maybe it’s a good idea though?
• Woke up 1 am hungry so yes I had a tbsp of peanut butter I will take it in consideration when eating today— (when will I not wake up in the middle of the night hungry?)
• Body woke up at 5 am. One hour earlier than suppose to do I got up to get some fasted cardio done. 45 min DONE used treadmill and bands steady pace but did intervals using bands
• Round 2 at the gym arms and core
• Long day but made it–5 am till midnight! Happy Friday ya’ll!
Day 5!!!!!!! Woah! 1/28/17 Saturday
• & the weekend has arrived. I have a full day of massages let’s see how I push through. But I’m off tomorrow, so that’s what is keeping me going. Mind over Matter baby!
• Woke up middle of night and ate almonds. Ugh, still?
• Got 7 hrs of sleep last night
• Not working out till way later. One session-Glutes, cardio, steam room
If you haven’t tried out a steam room, be sure to give it a try. They have a lot of benefits. Steam rooms use moist heat where is it an overall detoxification.
• By far the hardest day massaging not the most clients but my body feels so heavy. “Flu like symptoms” are in full swing and has officially taken over. That’s what they say; If you’re doing the keto “Diet” right it will feel like the flu within the first couple of weeks.
• Pushed through work shift. Somehow I got energy through my workout however my strength was not there. I don’t really go heavy for glutes besides one exercise per workout, if that. For example, today I went heavy with the leg press.
Day 6- 1/29/17 Sunday
• Woah fell asleep last night 930 pm on a Saturday! Ha after my workout I felt like a walking zombie. My body was heavy, flu like symptoms remained. Sleep was exactly what I needed
• I am irritable and annoyed very easily, lack of patience is showing too—IS THIS ALL WORTH IT?
• 8/9 hrs of sleep and I’m up for fasted cardio!
• Today is my day off so mentally I’m going to enjoy the day I get to do whatever I want without a schedule… or timeline as I call it.
• Going to the bathroom regularly! TMI—but it is important with this sudden change on my body. Stool more solid than ever and dark brown.
• Walked the mall for 3hrs was okay than BAM felt sluggish came home and needed a nap desperately. Just feel blahhh
• Took a nap woke up and did bouldershoulders!
Day 7 babyyyy 1 week KETOO 1/30/17 Monday
I’m pretty excited I’ve been able to stick with this! Can’t you tell? Anyway in between one of my working sets of my back day and my strength is ON today. I feel a pump– I must have slept good OR Monday grind is keeping me in check!
Day 8- 1/31/17 Tuesday
• Def feel lactic acid built up in my legs during cardio. I kept my tempo/speed with the resistance very low to maintain a quick speed/ volume.
• Took Pilates class—focused more on core and less with the legs. Yoga and pilates are great; if I had to choose one though it would be pilates!
• End of day 8 I’m feeling ready for clean carbs… still got a couple days to go.
• My nightly fudge is helping all cravings stay away & keeping me sane.
Simple, easy recipe:
1 scoop Protein powder (1st Phorm Level-1 Milk Chocolate)
1-2 tbsp peanut butter, splash water, mix, continue splashing water until fudge like consistency. KETO FRIENDLY*
• Mid-day stepped on scale(I HARDLY EVER DO THAT) 128 which means I’m weighing less than that in the AM. Best time to weigh yourself is in the AM right after you use the bathroom prior to eating/drinking anything.
Day 9- 2/1/17 Wednesday
• Woke up– to that time of the month.. mehhh
• Def didn’t want this apart of my blog, because it does cause weight fluctuation, cravings, and other things, but its part of life. Always something with us females right?
• Good part is I know I’m taking in enough iron–> red meat
• I must say keto diet is super easy to prep, compared to making all those carbs—just annoying to scrub the fat off the dishes/containers (I told you I was going to try to be super detailed)
• Still getting nauseous when it’s time for me to eat it’s like I know my body is ready to eat because I get that feeling every 2 1/2 to every three hours.
Day 10- 2/2/17 Thursday
• Went to bed 1:30 AM, so yes I ate at midnight I was hungry–3 whole eggs.
• Woke up 745 AM- slept great, just not long enough ha
• One day a week I try to be slow moving so I have something to look forward during the week, & today is that day! Breakfast in bed before cardio this AM. Some days you gotta just listen to you body. Because I woke up late I figured I’d hit cardio a bit later.
• Basically, I’m trying to learn how to feed my body when it’s ready to be fed. So when I’m hungry—I eat. Well day 10 and I ate about 1600 cal and I’m still hungry so I am going to eat a little something more before I head to bed and this will be the most calories I’ve eaten so far on the diet. I did start my calories pretty low from the beginning because I wanted to see how my body was able to tolerate the high fat. But like I said, in the eventually I want to be able to get my calories up to 1900 and hopefully over more than 2,000 with still being able to get lean. Today was supposed to be more of a rest day, but I did cardio conditioning. Rest days are tough to follow, but they certainly are important!
**Feel free to share with me what you believe in when it comes to rest days
Day 11- 2/3/17 Friday
• Peed on keto stick
• Wasn’t negative but I wasn’t expecting it to be so low..I’m only just starting to get into ketosis. I’m hesitant with having carbs on Sunday (Day 13). Obviously my body doesn’t need carbs, but mentally I would like them. I miss fruit—I haven’t had a banana in 11 days! But I’m eager to get more into keto so let’s see what I decide on doing before Sunday. I’ll keep you posted if I take the carb day on day 13 or not.
Day 12- 2/4/17 Saturday
• Was sticking to the plan and wasn’t going to give myself a carb day. But than I barley ate through out the day. Had a total of 2 meals (which were high fats, low carbs)
• I worked at a bodybuilding event where I was surrounded by protein peanut butter balls all day—and there went my tracking. HA They are filled with protein and peanut butter which are certainly fats but also honey and oats= CARBS!
Day 13 2/5/17 Sunday
• Keto keto on Super Bowl– grrr I was looking forward to some fruit and a bagel but I’m super eager to get that keto stick up to a darker color!!
• I truly thought I was doing great and was strict. Because most people on keto don’t count their macros.. (protein, carbs, fats) They just allow themselves to eat as many protein and fats—and that’s where they can go entirely wrong.
• My thoughts are — sugar alcohols we’re bouncing me out of ketosis. Which isn’t crazy to think. I mean yes sugar alcohols, but it just shows how strict you must be when on a regime ESP. with keto. Some things I have in my everyday diet consist of (drinks that are ZERO: Monsters, sugar free Red Bull, reduced sugar free ketchup, Walden farm syrups, GUM) I can’t tell you how much gum I chew– bc ummm on keto you get super dry mouth and your breath… again another downfall with the keto “Diet”
• Anyways the food is easy to follow but the hidden ingredients are… obviously getting to me. Now some may get into keto quicker than others– keeping in mind every”body” is different. Same goes with the specifics on sugar alcohols and different ingredients!!!
• I do enjoy this diet but in order to truly fall into ketosis you have to go cold turkey with many things so you don’t bounce out of ketosis, continuous thoughts on this diet are starting to approach me.
** Keeping in mind the only way I tested my ketosis is the urine strips, which I read some research on and it may not be 100% accurate because the urine ketone strips only test for excess ketone bodies that are excreted through the urine, telling you nothing about what’s happening in your blood. Blood is what matters. I will have to invest in a blood ketone meter before getting totally discouraged.
Day 14 2/7/17 Monday
• Continue to keep you posted and by yesterday afternoon I said screw it my team and coach are cheating today and my body may not need it but I really do feel like I need real food/carbs. Or at least I want them lol so I enjoyed a meal! Specifically, a pulled pork sandwich and some Super Bowl snacks. Included my very own chicken wings that we made with Flavor God seasoning. YUM. I did have some crackers with bruschetta and other sauces. It felt good to actually feel American and live normal for an afternoon.
• Realistically, why the keto “Diet” may not work for me is because I’ve felt I’m been depriving myself for soo long and its only been 13 days…
• It’s Monday, got up and I’m on my way for fasted cardio I’m not going to check my weight however I will check it tomorrow morning after one day worth of getting rid of a little water weight for my “Cheat” meal.
• Every 4-7 days females should have a carb reefed day, because of their hormones and every 7 days, guys should have a carb reefed. Today, I’m looking forward to being strict again on high fat because I actually get very full from high fat consumption rather than relying on carbs.
Well now that you read and followed my first 2 weeks on the Keto diet, if you have any questions regarding this diet, please feel free to ask me. If you’re interested in starting this diet approach, make sure you do more research and reading before you get started. If you are one who has been having the itch to give the Keto “Diet” a try, just realize for most people it doesn’t become a lifestyle change. For me, back when I’ve committed myself with the Keto “Diet” it was around the New Year. I figured it would help “Jumpstart” back into a strict routine for those New Year Resolutions, and to be honest, I did get very lean. With the lack of carbs, I was holding onto less water, so of course I got excited to see the scale go down. But in reality; I knew as soon as I added those carbs back into the diet the scale would go back up. For me, I didn’t love the restrictions I was putting on both my mind and body. Our bodies are meant to have ALL three Macro nutrients; Carbs are for our main source of Fuel, Fats for hormone function, and Protein for the main building block for muscle!
Individuals ask me: “Have you tried the Keto “Diet”—I can reply yes.
“Did you get the results you wanted”—I can reply yes, but they were not sustainable results, I wouldn’t be able to commit to it for a lifetime.
You’ll want to find what works best for you and your body, while you keep in mind living a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
1.Feel free to ask any questions you may have with the Keto Diet and if you want me to set up your customized macro nutrients to follow.
2.Please share any articles and research you’ve found and your experience with keto if you have tried it and/or living it!
3.It is now almost 2020, and I have yet to go back to the life of “Keto” Keto and Balance do not go together. My goal was to find a sustainable way to live with all three macro nutrients while still reaching my ultimate health & Fitness goals. AND THAT; THAT is exactly what I did.